1995-12-06 - Press Release on Response to Microsoft Internet Announcements

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7026e0d6dec86b2cd64f2f20437d46b5d877a0a6256a99133533fef712a4fcb4
Message ID: <Pine.ULT.3.91.951206142716.4575W-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
Raw Date: Wed, 6 Dec 95 14:41:25 PST

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 95 14:41:25 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Press Release on Response to Microsoft Internet Announcements

I just posted the following from stanford.edu; it probably won't be
approved and propagated in time, though.

By the way, alt.internet.media-coverage, to which someone pointed me, is
explicitly *not* for press releases.

I do not plan to utter the string "cypherpunks@toad.com" because I think
there's enough noise here already (some from me).

Apologies to sameer for being presumptuous, but I did say "hope," and I
also think tomorrow would be a really good time to document the .PWL file
bugs...

- -rich

Date: Wed, 06 Dec 1995 14:39:23 -0800
From: Rich Graves <w95netbugs@aol.com>
Newgroups: misc.news.internet.announce, misc.news.internet.discuss
Subject: Info on Microsoft Internet Announcements Thursday, December 7, 1995

Please reply, if necessary, to the address in the current FAQ, because I
very seldom actually log on to America "On Line." Before forwarding this
along, please check whether this has already been done; and let me know
after the fact.

As has already been announced in the print press, Bill Gates, who works
at a large software company, will hold a press conference tomorrow,
December 7th (a date with some historical significance), to announce
Microsoft's Internet strategy.

For information on Microsoft-sponsored marketing events in your area,
please see http://www.microsoft.com/events/

Approximately fifteen minutes after Mr. Gates begins speaking (anyone
have the exact schedule? please phone me), we hope to release very
significant updates to the following Internet sites:

http://www.c2.org/hackmsoft/
  [information on a few security problems with Microsoft products]

http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~llurch/win95netbugs/faq.html
  [canon URL; multiple DNS-load-balancing SPARCServers]

http://www-dccs.stanford.edu/NetConsult/Win95Net/faq.html
  [use this mirror of the above if you have an old DNS server that
   barfs on the www-leland lbnamed tricks]

news.answers, comp.answers, comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc, and several
higher-traffic groups will receive a text rendering of the above. This
will be the first approved and rtfm-archived posting; the news-answers
folks got back to me last week.

gopher://quixote.stanford.edu/1m/win95netbugs will get a text rendering
of the above, and contains relevant messages from an email discussion
list.

An email autoresponder to be named later (finger
llurch@elaine.stanford.edu in the morning).

The various archives on http://www.hks.net/ have additional information
for the technically minded.

A PGP-signed copy of this announcement is available on request, but I
don't want to confuse the unwashed masses unnecessarily.

- -rich
 "A day that will live in infamy"

Thread