1995-12-01 - Re: WTO an even worse possibility as Inet regulator.

Header Data

From: “James M. Cobb” <jcobb@ahcbsd1.ovnet.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 73ca0d1977128e3ac136c7374228b7db95cb0659acd4fc18e22c3c03f54f9653
Message ID: <Pine.BSD.3.91.951201050752.28674C-100000@ahcbsd1.ovnet.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 18:43:47 +0800

Raw message

From: "James M. Cobb" <jcobb@ahcbsd1.ovnet.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 18:43:47 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: WTO an even worse possibility as Inet regulator.

Friend,

attila@primenet.com did the list a service when he sent his
message, "WTO an even worse possibility as Inet regulator."

Basing the message "on an article from the (London) Finan-
cial Times," he states that

   a very credible white paper is circulating for the WTO to
   establish an internet CZAR to regualate the Internet...

and he asks:

   personally, the Feds and the FCC are bad enough --now
   they want to have a **global** bureaucracy play god  -???

That 11 29 95 Financial Times newsstory is headlined:

     Global regulator urged for information highway

Who's doing the urging?

The Royal Institute of International Telecommunications
Policy put out a report written by a Shell man and a think-
tank woman.

As regards encryption, the RIITP people

   ...point out that issues such as...encryption...have global
   rather than national aspects.

Then they contradict themselves:

   "Encryption, for example, raises tricky and emotive issues
   connected with...national security and cannot be treated
   simply as a business problem."

Whatever works!  They "encrypt" the ultimatums of the New World
disorder in any...key.

At the very end of the newsstory:

   Global Superhighways, Chatham House, 10 St James
   Square, London SW1Y 4LE

I'm guessing Global Superhighways is the title of the RIITP
report.  As for Chatham House...

  In 1919 [a group of young men who became the dominant
  influence in British imperial and foreign affairs up to 1939]
  founded the Royal Institute of International Affairs (Chatham
  House) for which the chief financial supporters were Sir Abe
  Bailey and the Astor family (owners of The [London] Times).
  Similar Institutes of International Affairs were established
  in the chief British dominions and in the United States
  (where it is known as the Council on Foreign Relations).

    --Carroll Quigley [Clinton's mentor].  Tragedy and Hope.
      A History of the World in Our Time.  Macmillan, 1966.
      P 132.

RIITP is probably a front for RIIA.  I conjecture, though, that
the real publisher of the report has his house in Washington.

I agree with jamesd@echeque.com who writes:

        The main threat to freedom is still internal,
                    rather than external.

Looked at from the inside, of course.

Cordially,

Jim