1995-12-22 - re: Encryption Rules Coming

Header Data

From: amp <Alan.Pugh@internetMCI.COM>
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 78e7429a44fe59b49d7b505800f629994a4ebb5452c2faf3f3d84172a29bb9e7
Message ID: <01HZ38W9ELSI95NNMH@MAIL-CLUSTER.PCY.MCI.NET>
Raw Date: Thu, 21 Dec 95 22:16:47 PST

Raw message

From: amp <Alan.Pugh@internetMCI.COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 95 22:16:47 PST
To: cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: re: Encryption Rules Coming

-- [ From: amp * EMC.Ver #2.3 ] --

>    Encryption rules to be prepared

>    By Andrew Jack in Paris
=snip=
>   Highly sophisticated encryption technology already exists
>    in a number of countries including the US and Sweden. In
>    the US, companies already have access to these programs. A
>    growing number of businesses -- led by the banking sector
>    -- are demanding access to these programs.

ya know, if we could beat the following (true) statement into the
heads of the people who write this stuff, it would go far towards
making people understand how futile it is to try to stop the spread
of encryption technology.

  "Highly sophisticated encryption technology already exists in every
country on the planet. Anyone with a modem and access to the internet
has access to these programs. The fact is that a very powerful
encryption program can actually be written by hand on a postcard and
mailed anywhere in the world."

i want to rant more on this but will spare the choir of this. is
anyone out there marketing "rsa in 3 lines of pearl" as a postcard?
i'm going to have it printed on a business card so i can hand them
out to demonstrate the foolishness of itar in my own way.

amp
<0003701548@mcimail.com> (since 10/31/88)
<alan.pugh@internetmci.com>
PGP Key = 57957C9D
PGP FP = FA 02 84 7D 82 57 78 E4  E2 1C 7B 88 62 A6 F9 F7
December 22, 1995   0:45

Thread