1995-12-03 - Use of PGP as an export?

Header Data

From: Ted Cabeen <cabeen@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 78f8581a6eeb4e7498952497a2e70d85b92d632b7e5f185f6f235e1921ac5e28
Message ID: <2.2b7.32.19951203050924.002d163c@netcom17.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 11:28:14 +0800

Raw message

From: Ted Cabeen <cabeen@netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 11:28:14 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Use of PGP as an export?

I think this has been brought up before, but I could only find one reference
to it in the archives and it wasn't too helpful, so I'll ask again.  If a
university provided a copy of PGP for use on their unix machines and a
non-resident, non-citizen *used* the copy of PGP on the server, but did not
download it onto their own machine, but instead just ran PGP on the server
alone, would it be a violation of the ITAR?  My school is interested in
putting a copy of PGP on the university server and wants to know if they
should somehow restrict access to citizens and legal residents only.  Thanks.
Ted Cabeen                                                  cabeen@netcom.com
Finger for PGP Public Key                        secabeen@midway.uchicago.edu
"I have taken all knowledge to be my province."            cococabeen@aol.com

Thread