1995-12-13 - Re: Usability of Cryptography (was Re: More FUD from First Virtual)

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: jamesd@echeque.com
Message Hash: 79c69a714da6c740d726d6c221c4b4128668233904af55edfd4851225bd5f40d
Message ID: <01HYRK16QTSM8Y4Z3G@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 06:30:02 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 06:30:02 +0800
To: jamesd@echeque.com
Subject: Re: Usability of Cryptography (was Re: More FUD from First Virtual)

From:	IN%"jamesd@echeque.com"  "James A. Donald" 13-DEC-1995 03:44:41.99

>If we stick to a lesser goal -- constancy of identity --
this is not so hard.  In general it is impossible to prove that
Bryce is the "real" Bryce, but it is trivial to prove that
Bryce is the same Bryce who has a certain Web page, and the
same Bryce who posted a certain article in archives.
-----------------
        I have been considering all the pieces of information that ought to
be automatically linkable to a particular public key. They include:

1. Email address(es) from which mail signed with it is customarily received,
to save on lookup time.

2. Web pages put up by this person.

3. Web pages/ftp files/etcetera authored by this person (i.e., the hks archives
of cypherpunks).

4. Phone number if using a crypto-capable phone with a key-download capacity
from a computer.

5. A declared name or alias.

6. In my files, whatever name I want to give the person.

Ultimately, if I receive something signed by somebody, I would want to have
hypertext links from that file to all of these- to remind me of whom I'm
talking to and his/her/its/their past behavior.
      -Allen

Thread