1995-12-05 - Re: French crypto restrictions - update ?

Header Data

From: Laurent Demailly <dl@hplyot.obspm.fr>
Message Hash: 79ffa475a014692a062162dbe53a8c8bac7f05939bf343b8cfbc812bf3653e30
Message ID: <9512052148.AA00712@hplyot.obspm.fr>
Reply To: <199512020701.XAA01919@ammodump.mcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-05 21:47:13 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 5 Dec 95 13:47:13 PST

Raw message

From: Laurent Demailly <dl@hplyot.obspm.fr>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 95 13:47:13 PST
Subject: Re: French crypto restrictions - update ?

Yes Netscape got the authorisation to sell Netscape navigator in
France (40 bits) but there is no policy changes or whatever, it is
still a tedious product by product process to get auth for crypto and
obviously, you'rent going to get an auth for PGP any real soon... :-(

futplex@pseudonym.com writes:
 > Sorry, this has nothing to do with Netscape's position on GAK:
 >
 > Jim Clark writes (via Jeff Weinstein):
 > > Until recently, France did not even
 > > allow us to sell products with 40-bit keys, much less 128-bit keys.
 >
 > I'm curious about this. Were Chirac et compagnie simply dragging their feet
 > on granting a license, have they made an actual policy change, or did they
 > realize they could do what Damien did ? It would be interesting to see more
 > information on this development. (There's a paranoid conspiracy theory I
 > could add to the pile here, but I don't believe it and we seem to be knee-deep
 > in them at the moment....)
 >
 > -Futplex <futplex@pseudonym.com>
 > Let's wait and see

dl
--
Laurent Demailly * http://hplyot.obspm.fr/~dl/ * Linux|PGP|Gnu|Tcl|...  Freedom
Prime#1: cent cinq mille cent cinq milliards cent cinq mille cent soixante sept

cryptographic assassination PGP Peking explosion security SDI

Thread