1995-12-05 - Re: another fbi prosecution

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Message Hash: 8857f93c9fd027de9ba48cfcd2c63818eef63862b55dc4fdcc95e6c468e38474
Message ID: <Pine.ULT.3.91.951205125436.27077A-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
Reply To: <2.2b8.32.19951205200735.0067bb30@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-05 20:55:39 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 5 Dec 95 12:55:39 PST

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 95 12:55:39 PST
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Subject: Re: another fbi prosecution

On Tue, 5 Dec 1995, Duncan Frissell wrote:

> At 07:30 AM 12/5/95 -0500, you wrote:
>
> > sophomore Dominick LaScala was charged last week in federal court with two
> > counts of computer fraud.
>
> I thought fraud was obtaining something of value by false pretenses or
> uttering a false document or something.  Doesn't sound like fraud to me.

I think they're referring to at least one of the accounts being obtained
under false pretenses, and the From: lines (and probably Message-ID,
Received, etc) being forged.

Which would still be an interesting precedent, yes.

-rich

Thread