1995-12-18 - Re: Is ths legal?.. (fwd)

Header Data

From: “Robert” <RDHeffren@gnn.com>
To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Message Hash: 8c5da93bff765cd9a55d8ee967aac823bf02ff0ea32c109d91b5ba165f290f4e
Message ID: <199512172313.SAA25145@mail-e1b.gnn.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 10:45:02 +0800

Raw message

From: "Robert" <RDHeffren@gnn.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 10:45:02 +0800
To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Subject: Re: Is ths legal?.. (fwd)

Sun, 17 Dec 1995 10:18:50 -0500 (EST)
Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li> writes:

> > On Sun, 17 Dec 1995, Jay Holovacs wrote:
> > Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 (ECPA) (18 U.S.C. ss 2510
> > et seq.).  "It shall not be unlawful under this chapter for an
> > operator of a switchboard, or an officer, employee, or agent of a
> > provider of wire *or electronic* communication service, whose
> > facilities are used in the trans-mission of a wire communication,

> I disagree. Instead it implies that interception and administrative
> review of content will be tolerated where it is "a necessary
> incident to the rendition of his service or to the protection of the
> rights or property of the provider of that service."  Note that it
> will be the provider who makes the definition in the ex ante application.
> Even worse, the protection that is given is for "a provider of wire
> communication service to the public."

I also disagree because I would interpret it as "It shall not be
unlawful...to intercept, disclose or use that communication...except
by utilizing *service observing* or *random monitoring*." That indicates
to me that specific monitoring is fine, but random monitoring must be
used for quality control. And how do you become specific without being
random? QC could be whatever the providers deem it to be, the public
be damned.

"..anything not specifically allowed is expressly forbidden..."

RDHeffren@gnn.com
RobertH677@aol.com
id=0x95AA98CD

Thread