1995-12-02 - Re: John Gage’s comments at Computer Security Day in Cleveland

Header Data

From: anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 96c749c6e500a647b1fc6a3aa4de0af40c767588a8182ded8940f0f3a07deccb
Message ID: <199512021022.CAA21819@jobe.shell.portal.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 2 Dec 1995 23:23:48 +0800

Raw message

From: anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 1995 23:23:48 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: John Gage's comments at Computer Security Day in Cleveland

On Fri, 1 Dec 1995, Dr. Frederick B. Cohen wrote:

> John Gave gave an interesting pitch for Java at the CSSI Computer
> Security Day sessions in Cl;evelan yesterday (November 30).  Among
> his comments were:
>
> 	Java is not secure - it is "safe"

No comment.

> 	He (John Gage) regularly downloads binary executables from the
> 	Internet and runs them on his workstation at Sun - (connected to
> 	the internal Sun network).

He downloads executables and runs them while connected to ...

Oops, ... no comment.

> 	Sun has terrible physical security - unknown people roam the halls
> 	at night all by themselves.

How do they get in the building in the first place??  Someone should
think about a MEMBERS ONLY sign or something ...

Oops, ... no comment.

> 	In 2 years, you will be able to buy a computer that does more than
> 	a Sparc now does, in a portable package the size of a cell
> 	phone, with more than 30 million bits per second of mobile
> 	bandwidth direct to the Internet, for less than $30.

Now this last one could not pass without a deserved comment.

How will John have my fingers connect with the cell-phone sized keyboard??
I guess for LESS than $30, I probably shouldn't be moaning and
complaining, though ... especially if its energy-star compliant.

> -> See: Info-Sec Heaven at URL http://all.net/
> Management Analytics - 216-686-0090 - PO Box 1480, Hudson, OH 44236

Dr. Fred, as usual ... you're a hoot.

Your timing is great.  And as luck would have it, I've got a Sun open
house to go to this Monday for their pre-Christmas shin-dig.  The
President of Sun Canada, (I think) is supposed to be in attendance.

You just gave me some great material to goad him with.  Thanks.

Even though these social things aren't usually for shop-talk, I think I
might just save some of this stuff for use at the punch bowl.

(Naah, I wouldn't do that.)-;

But it is great material ... and perfect timing ...

Alice de 'nonymous ...

                                  ...just another one of those...

P.S.  This post is in the public domain.
                  C.  S.  U.  M.  O.  C.  L.  U.  N.  E.

Thread