1995-12-08 - Re: Escrow expectations

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9b33fa7c5bb4d6a674e46e95ad378322137fff7ea2614f169c09f0bd93a894ec
Message ID: <2.2b8.32.19951208153041.00687120@panix.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 8 Dec 95 07:29:40 PST

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 95 07:29:40 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Escrow expectations

At 09:17 AM 12/8/95 -0500, Adam Shostack wrote:

>	"Your honor, we argue that in escrowing his keys with the US
>government, the defendant should have known his communications could
>be listened to, and thus has no expectation of privacy."

If Clipper were mandated you might be able to resist a prosecution for
"failure to file" keys or for double encrypting your transmissions if you
could prove that you were transmitting illegal messages or evidence of a
crime.  Just as those who possess illegal weapons are not required to
register them (self incrimination).  You have to be sure your traffic is
illegal though otherwise no protection.

DCF

"But if indecency is banned from the nets what will happen to the photos of
Clinton's face posted on www.whitehouse.gov?"

Thread