1995-12-09 - Re: Netscape announces position against GAK

Header Data

From: Frank Stuart <fstuart@vetmed.auburn.edu>
To: jsw@netscape.com
Message Hash: a4dcbd421b38fce28ca00a63a937ce6c1fe4def68b491a19de29d5e886f0a305
Message ID: <199512092259.QAA11480@snoopy.vetmed.auburn.edu>
Raw Date: Sat, 9 Dec 95 14:58:09 PST

Raw message

From: Frank Stuart <fstuart@vetmed.auburn.edu>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 95 14:58:09 PST
To: jsw@netscape.com
Subject: Re: Netscape announces position against GAK

>From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
>Subject: Re: Netscape announces position against GAK
>
>Credit where credit is due.
>
>I for one am satisfied--and even pleased--with the Netscape position on GAK.
>
>It remains to be seen how steadfast Netscape, as the major player in the
>Web browser business, remains in the face of (likely) pressure from the
>government.
>
>It seems to me that we have have been quick to criticize Netscape--which is
>good, the quickness part--and thus we should be equally quick to praise
>them. To be sure, various of us might've written the Netscape position
>statement slightly differently, but this does not change the basic point:
>that Netscape has come out against the Administration's position on GAK.
>
>For this they deserve our praise.

I agree with all of Tim's sentiments (well, in this message, anyway :>).  I'd
especially like to thank Jeff Weinstein for his hard work keeping both us
and Netscape management informed.  I think he's done us both a great service.

To avoid just saying "me too", I'll throw out another idea on making the U.S.
version of Netscape available to U.S. users over the Internet.  How about a
phone number to call to get an access id of some sort that can be used to
FTP the software.  When you call the number, you can use caller-id to verify
that the person is calling from within the U.S.  You could set up a BBS-type
system to do this automatically, or make the phone number a 900 number and
charge a few dollars to cover your costs.  You could also set up the access
id so that it can only be used once.

                          | (Douglas) Hofstadter's Law:
Frank Stuart              | It always takes longer than you expect, even
fstuart@vetmed.auburn.edu | when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Thread