1995-12-08 - Re: Is there a lawyer in the house?

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ae9e5c116c3dc955ffd3d2f1e08a027859866ce7ba048230e90c76ab84b3212a
Message ID: <acecee610a021004a5f2@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Thu, 7 Dec 95 19:17:54 PST

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 95 19:17:54 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Is there a lawyer in the house?

At 2:27 AM 12/8/95, sameer wrote:
>> > You mean if you give me your key the police can get it from me without a
>> > warrant? What if I don't want to give it up, and you don't? How would the
>> > police get it without a warrant?
>>
>> Yes.  Unless it could be shown there their was an expactation of privacy
>> in the transfer, or that there was an understanding that you intended this
>> to be a confidential matter.  Or in the alternative, that the
>
>        I do not understand.
>
>Alice has Alice gives Bob her key.  Cop wants Alice's key.  Cop tells
>Bob "I want Alice's key, you need to give it to me. I don't have a
>warrant."
>
>How is this different from
>Bob has key. Cop want's Bob's key. Cop tells Bob "I want your key,
>you need to give it to me. I don't have a warrant."
>

>        sheesh, what a fucked up legal system.
                        ^^^^^^^^^

EXON WARNING! This message has just exposed the author, the toad.com
system, and all those who pass it on to fines of not less than $10,000!

But I share Sameer's confusion. If cops show up at my door, they must, it
seems to me, present proper warrants before they can _enter_ my premises,
or _search_ my premises. Something given to me, whether a letter, a key, a
photo, etc., is essentially *my property* and may not simply be taken away
from without due process.

I hope Black Unicorn is incorrect in his point.

--Tim

Views here are not the views of my Internet Service Provider or Government.