1995-12-28 - FYI - telecom bill or not there are still censors

Header Data

From: John Pettitt <jpp@software.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b3d2c9b3f5c5923295971f42eeb660776251d53dc9e1880d3547ac678cf21419
Message ID: <2.2.32.19951227172007.0070f34c@mail.software.net>
Raw Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 12:19:18 +0800

Raw message

From: John Pettitt <jpp@software.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 12:19:18 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: FYI - telecom bill or not there are still censors

This arrived in my mailbox (I have *not* personally confirmed it) ....

According to reports popping up in other places around the Compuserve
Information Service it appears that they have taken a stance of Internet
censor and are now blocking access to certain Usenet newsgroups.  This
move took place just before the Christmas holiday and remains unannounced
to the membership/subscriber base.

Just about any Usenet newsgroup with the word "sex" or "erotica" are no
longer available. Attempts to subscribe to these newsgroups produces an
error message stating that the newsgroup does not exist.  In reality its
access has been blocked.

A short list (very short) of other newsgroup feeds that are no longer
accessible as provided by another party to me include:

alt.homosexual
alt.magick.sex
alt.magick.sex.angst
alt.motss.bisexua-l
alt.politics.sex
alt.recovery.addiction.sexual
alt.recovery.sexual-addiction
alt.religion.sexuality
alt.sex
alt.support.disabled.sexuality
clari.news.crime.sex
clari.news.gays
clari.news.sex
gay-net.coming-out
rec.arts.erotica
shamash.gayjews
soc.support.youth.gay-lesbian-bi

Other newsgroups also remain blocked or eliminated from a provided
pick-list and if this is allowed to continue the likelihood of this
spreading to other topics that a select group find offensive or
intolerable is a very real threat.

A number of these newsgroups are legitimate groups for people needing
support or recovery or places where frank discussions on adult subjects
take place.  Some are religious in nature though non-mainstream.  Others
are associated with the gay lifestyle.  As you can see there is a
definite trend being set here.

So far much of this change in access remains unknown to the vast majority
of Compuserve customers who remain away from their terminals for the
holidays.

If this bothers you I would suggest that you send a message to Compuserve
customer services at GO FEEDBACK.  Those using autopilot programs send
e-mail to Feedback at 70006,101.  From outside of Compuserve send e-mail
to 70006.101@compuserve.com

We are supposedly paying a monthly fee which includes =full= Internet
service and access.  We are no longer getting it.  That is
misrepresentation.

Take this issue to your other favorite forums, newsgroups, etc.  If we
allow freedom of speech and access to be lost now we will never get it
back.

Thread