1995-12-21 - Re: CFS and Linux

Header Data

From: Matt Blaze <mab@crypto.com>
To: Alex de Joode <usura@berserk.com>
Message Hash: b547d27e53556ff71659da3384c896b2ac67c21591c311579f86192d1502cc21
Message ID: <199512210440.XAA28196@crypto.com>
Reply To: <199512201915.UAA00215@asylum.berserk.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-21 04:34:57 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Dec 95 20:34:57 PST

Raw message

From: Matt Blaze <mab@crypto.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 95 20:34:57 PST
To: Alex de Joode <usura@berserk.com>
Subject: Re: CFS and Linux

> Is there anyone out there that has CFS running with Linux ?
>
> It installs fine on BSDi 2.0 but I'm unable to install it
> under Linux, I would appreciate it if some one would help
> me out.
>
>  -AJ-

I don't run Linux, and every time I open my mouth it seems to provoke
a flame-fest, but I'll risk responding anyway.

I'm told that all version of CFS since 1.0.4 (the latest is 1.3.1)
do work out-of-the-box under *some* releases of Linux and with some
coaxing on the others.

I'm not sure exactly what problem you're having, but the most common
CFS-Linux problem that people complain about has to do with the rpcgen
output not being in the format expected by the rest of CFS.  There
seem to be two things you can do about this:  get a version of rpcgen
that generates the "standard" (original Sun) names for the functions it
generates, or just grab the rpcgen output from the cfs-users mailing list
archive ("echo help | mail cfs-users-request@research att.com" for details).

Or are you able to compile it but not get it installed?  I've not heard
of any problems here.  If so, you might try the cfs-users@research.att.com
mailing list and see if someone there can help out.

-matt

NB to "Bill Gates" and friends:  To save you the trouble of pointing it out,
I hereby admit that I'm a commie-fascist brainwashed sold out member of the
military-industrial complex who has been programmed by his masters to
infiltrate the cypherpunks in order to sap and impurify their precious
bodily fluids.

Thread