1995-12-15 - Re: .PWL spin

Header Data

From: “Rev. Ben” <samman-ben@CS.YALE.EDU>
To: Den of CryptoAnarchists <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: b873b537f0a1c620caee4f38d1b2d123bddf3bcecaec690dcd3756c3769bd70c
Message ID: <Pine.A32.3.91.951215144310.3576A-100000@FROG.ZOO2.CS.YALE.EDU>
Reply To: <199512151829.KAA13449@jobe.shell.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-15 22:01:17 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 16 Dec 1995 06:01:17 +0800

Raw message

From: "Rev. Ben" <samman-ben@CS.YALE.EDU>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 1995 06:01:17 +0800
To: Den of CryptoAnarchists <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: .PWL spin

> What would make a University less secure than a corporation??

Ostensibly, universities in the interest of academic freedom and
promoting learning usually don't have nearly the same draconian measures
that corporations have.  They don't have to worry nearly as much about
trade secrets being mailed out he front door, or information warfare
attacks in which a competitor is attempting to penetrate the system.

> Universities (at least the ones, I've checked) have entire departments
> and theoreticians devoted to Computers ... companies usually don't.

And those theoreticians sit behind their desks and keep scribbling on
their pads.  There's not much going on the ground with theory.  Plus, if
you knew anything about theory, a lot of theory has very little immediate
practical importance...complexity theory is good to make sure that
one-way functions actually do exist, but in progress, there's not much
way to implement it.

Ben.
____
"If what Proust says is true, that happiness is the absence of fever, then
I will never know happiness. For I am possessed by a fever for knowledge,
experience, and creation."                                      -Anais Nin
PGP Encrypted Mail Welcomed      Finger samman@powered.cs.yale.edu for key
Anyone want to give a  college grad a job?  Mail me for a resume.

Thread