1995-12-08 - Re: Is there a lawyer in the house?

Header Data

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
Message Hash: cb2a34c78a226c61af644a94f9c879784416f2c18686eff01c010eee50ae8c70
Message ID: <Pine.BSF.3.91.951208104300.736A-100000@mercury.thepoint.net>
Reply To: <199512080554.AAA05788@opine.cs.umass.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-08 15:47:50 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 8 Dec 95 07:47:50 PST

Raw message

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 95 07:47:50 PST
Subject: Re: Is there a lawyer in the house?

On Fri, 8 Dec 1995, Futplex wrote:

> Black Unicorn writes:
> > Yes.  I have seen holdings which indicate that information given to an
> > employer, where there was no obvious expection that it be kept
> > confidential, estopped 4th amendment protections to its introduction when
> > obtained without a warrant.
> [...and...]
> > Again, because of the nature of the relationship.  There is an
> > expectation that a conversation with an attorney is one of the most
> > private exchanges you can engage in.  As for rare exceptions, I'm not so
> > sure I would term them rare.
>
> What happens if I disclose a key to my employer's corporate law firm ?

The "key" here to the legal analysis is likely to be that the
*employer's* law firm does not represent you and that the information
disclosed is not privileged.  The law firm's duty is to represent the
corporation, not you.  Certainly, such things as how you came to reveal
it and what your position if the corporation could come into play, but in
general, that firm is NOT your lawyer.

> Does that clearly lie one way or the other, or would it likely hinge upon
> the conditions under which I came to reveal the key ?
>
> -Futplex <futplex@pseudonym.com>

EBD

Not a lawyer on the Net, although I play one in real life.
Flame away! I get treated worse in person every day!!

Thread