1995-12-15 - Re: And the standard continues to lower…

Header Data

From: “Peter Trei” <trei@process.com>
To: <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cb9300c2218d21479f37f636fb46d57a29b21d26c7191e933a342fba83f7b960
Message ID: <9512151643.AA12546@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:58:42 +0800

Raw message

From: "Peter Trei" <trei@process.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:58:42 +0800
To: <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: And the standard continues to lower...

 At 05:17 PM 12/13/95 -0600, you wrote:
>Dr. Brian L. Crissey includes in his .sig, courtesy of cactus@hks.net
>>[ much WRT YetAnotherSecureInternetCreditCardPaymentSystem(*tm) deleted ]
>> ***Dr. Brian L. Crissey, Chair CS Dpt, Linfield Col., McMinnville, OR 97128
>> (503)-434-2426 brianc@linfield.edu
>> Professionals built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark...
>
>However, the Ark was *designed* by GOD (if you believe the story).  Can Dr.
>Brian L. Crissey say the same thing about his payment system?

This guy's home page is a hoot - he's into UFO contacts and dolphin
communication.

After writing to him and getting back a description of his system, it's
clear that he's clueless. He seems to think that info sent to a vendor
using his system can't be sorted out from the gazillion other packets
on the Net.

I described to him sniffer attacks, subverted routers, etal, and
reccomended some basic reading (Cheswick & Bellovin,
Kaufmann, Perlman, & Speciner, and Schneier). He said he'd
look into it. (Yes, I know there's plenty of other attacks, such as
OSPF spoofing, but I didn't describe them).

I think we can educate this guy.

speaking only for myself,
Peter Trei

Thread