1995-12-09 - Re: Netscape speaks with a forked tongue:

Header Data

From: djw@pdcorp.com (Dan Weinstein)
To: twcook@cts.com
Message Hash: d57eeef321ce0110e206517e8f542bf9fc341b57bfbe2a3fa16872cc37d6e074
Message ID: <30c93ded.17679242@email.pdcorp.com>
Reply To: <m0tOJNm-000V7OC@mailhub.cts.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-09 07:41:26 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 8 Dec 95 23:41:26 PST

Raw message

From: djw@pdcorp.com (Dan Weinstein)
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 95 23:41:26 PST
To: twcook@cts.com
Subject: Re: Netscape speaks with a forked tongue:

On Fri, 8 Dec 1995 23:03:48 +0000, twcook@cts.com wrote:

>> Again, you seem fixated on making Clark's opinions equivelent to the
>> position of Netscape Communications Corp, this is not a reasonable
>> assumption.
>
>  Given Clark's position, I believe it is a reasonable assumption.
>Unless of course you hold that the Corp. as a legal entity could have
>a seperate position. In that case then WHO speaks for the
>corporation?  Some lower level PR person?  I don't think so...<s>.

My point is that anyone at any level can make two different types of
statements, those for themselves and those for the company.  If Jim
Clark makes a statement as the President of Netscape, then he is
speaking for Netscape.  If he makes a statement as Jim Clark, then he
is speaking for Jim Clark.  It is possible to not believe in something
ethically, yet see a financial advantage in supporting it.  Their is a
distinction that must be made, though admitedly the line does become
fuzzy when a senior person makes a statement, this is because he is
often the one driving the policy.

Dan Weinstein
djw@pdcorp.com
http://www.earthlink.net/~danjw
PGP public key is available from my Home Page.
All opinions expressed above are mine.

"I understand by 'freedom of Spirit' something quite definite -
the unconditional will to say No, where it is dangerous to say
No.
           Friedrich Nietzsche

Thread