1995-12-10 - Re: Escrow expectations

Header Data

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
To: John Lull <lull@acm.org>
Message Hash: d9da7dc4a75c7c22cce7124f79be5cf7398608bc4aa59bfc05e576303afbcb11
Message ID: <Pine.BSF.3.91.951210165108.3557G-100000@mercury.thepoint.net>
Reply To: <30cae91c.1391349@smtp.ix.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-10 21:55:15 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 10 Dec 95 13:55:15 PST

Raw message

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 95 13:55:15 PST
To: John Lull <lull@acm.org>
Subject: Re: Escrow expectations

On Sun, 10 Dec 1995, John Lull wrote:

> Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com> wrote:
>
> > > Duncan Frissell writes:
>
> > >  > If Clipper were mandated you might be able to resist a prosecution for
> > >  > "failure to file" keys or for double encrypting your transmissions if you
> > >  > could prove that you were transmitting illegal messages or evidence of a
> > >  > crime.  Just as those who possess illegal weapons are not required to
> >              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >  > register them (self incrimination).  You have to be sure your traffic is
> >      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > You are mistaken here.  Failure to get a permit before turning a
> > semi-auto firearm into a fully-auto machine gun, for example, is illegal
> > as is possessing an unregistered machine gun ...
>
> My understanding was that, for example, a convicted felon in posession
> of a handgun where handguns must be registered could be charged with
> being a convicted felon in posession of a firearm.  He could NOT be
> charged with posession of an unregistered handgun, because requiring
> him to register, when it is illegal for him to posess, is a violation
> of his first amendment rights.

In many/most federal jurisdictions, you are mistaken.  See my previous
note about the exculpatory no exception.  Of course, he need
only fill out the form if purchasing from a federally licensed firearms
dealer, not, say, at a flea market.

EBD

Not a lawyer on the Net, although I play one in real life.
Flame away! I get treated worse in person every day!!

Thread