1995-12-28 - Re: DejaNews and Alta Vista Search Tools, and Privacy Implications

Header Data

From: Tim Philp <bplib@wat.hookup.net>
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: da8de7830ee53d4d434ad32409e41d9af882b6b07ee872ff8bca85d6d79d0b25
Message ID: <Pine.OSF.3.91.951228002312.20470A-100000@nic.wat.hookup.net>
Reply To: <ad065486000210045fdd@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-28 14:43:48 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 22:43:48 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim Philp <bplib@wat.hookup.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 22:43:48 +0800
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: DejaNews and Alta Vista Search Tools, and Privacy Implications

	I was interested in your comments re DejaNews because of an
experience that I had about a month ago. I received mail from Rick
Broadhead, a co-author of the Canadian Internet Guide. He wanted to know
if I was the Tim Philp who wrote a computer column for the Brantford
Expositor and if so, would I be interested in reviewing his new books.
	It seems that he got my name from a clipping service because I
had mentioned his first book in my column. As I did not include my E-mail
address in my column, he used DejaNews to search for Tim & Philp. Bingo!
my name poped out from an old Cypherpunks list posting.
	In this case it was good as I was interested in talking to him,
but the possibilities for privacy invasion are great. In any case, I got
an article out of the experience. I think that it will be interesting
when some of the future politicians who are now just kids playing on the
Internet are presented with some of their juvenile rantings when they are
40 years old and running for office. The mind boggles!

Regards,
Tim Philp
Brantford, Ont.,
Canada