1995-12-28 - Re: proposal for new cyber abbreviation

Header Data

From: Jiri Baum <jirib@sweeney.cs.monash.edu.au>
To: vznuri@netcom.com (Vladimir Z. Nuri)
Message Hash: e55cb47a1c9c0d712d131681f13fa7758e5bca9ad885dfcf154d93fe563b4ab2
Message ID: <199512280403.PAA10201@sweeney.cs.monash.edu.au>
Reply To: <199512271947.LAA22943@netcom17.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-28 14:40:35 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 22:40:35 +0800

Raw message

From: Jiri Baum <jirib@sweeney.cs.monash.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 22:40:35 +0800
To: vznuri@netcom.com (Vladimir Z. Nuri)
Subject: Re: proposal for new cyber abbreviation

Hello,

"Vladimir Z. Nuri" <vznuri@netcom.com> wrote:

> yes, cyberspace just doesn't have enough acronyms like AFAIK and IANAL etc.
> ad nauseam. (I have reason to believe that PTB, or "powers that be" was
> SHTBD!!!!
>
> as in, Something Has To Be Done.

Proposed extension:

SHTBD/<agent>

eg:

There's a paedophile on the Internet! SHTBD/PTB!

PTB're trying to regulate cyberspace! SHTBD/EFF!

PTB're pushing GAK! SHTBD/C'punks!

And so on. After all, all sides can cry "SHTBD", can't they?

(Home users may prefer the alternate syntax SHTBD\<agent>, ie
SHTBD\PTB, SHTBD\EFF, SHTBD\C_PUNKS etc :-)

> used either seriously or satirically (probably mostly satirically by
> everyone here).
>
> example:
> "I was not implying that SHTBD, merely that we are moving into a brave
> new world in cyberspace".

How about something like:
"I was not implying that SHTBD/PTB to stop it, but that SHTBD/us to
support it/deploy it/get ready for it."

> notice that SHTBD is the antithesis of cypherpunk philosophy in that
> it tends to imply
>
> 1. government intervention

Hence the addition of the <agent> field...

> 2. coercive force
> 3. censorship

Yet one of your examples implied the opposite - sorry, I nuked it, but
it was about the media picking bogeymen.

> hence by using this term and popularizing it, we promote our own agenda
> of "cryptoanarchy".

Fortunately for the anarchists, perhaps, an authoritarian government
is isomorphic to anarchy.

Jiri
- --
If you want an answer, please mail to <jirib@cs.monash.edu.au>.
On sweeney, I may delete without reading!
PGP 463A14D5 (but it's at home so it'll take a day or two)
PGP EF0607F9 (but it's at uni so don't rely on it too much)

Thread