1995-12-19 - E-cash coin questions (Mark Twain / Digicash)

Header Data

From: “David Klur” <dklur@dttus.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e74c84657d0d3c9860512e70f0e068d03fbafc5f67be097d06cd5a235e7f0837
Message ID: <9511198194.AA819410227@cc2.dttus.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 19 Dec 95 11:59:41 PST

Raw message

From: "David Klur" <dklur@dttus.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 95 11:59:41 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: E-cash coin questions (Mark Twain / Digicash)

     1.  How many different coins (serial numbers) can the current Mark
     Twain/Digicash protocol support?

     2. Does Mark Twain bank maintain 2 lists: 1 of all the ecash serial
     numbers for all coins ever produced, and 1 of all the ecash serial
     numbers for all coins that have been spent before?  Or just 1 list of
     the spent coins (assuming that any coin that is signed w/MT's private
     key and does not appear on the "spent" list is still valid and is not
     counterfeit)?

     3.  The Digicash scheme allows each coin to be used only once and then
     destroyed.  How many coins will it take before all possible coins are
     minted, used and destroyed thereby requiring banks to issue new coins
     with "recycled" serial numbers?  Remember, each time a "transaction"
     takes place, an existing coin is destroyed and a new coin is minted.
     and a transaction can simply be Alice giving her friend Bob a dollar
     (not necessarily using the ecash for a purchase)

     4.  What is the probability of guessing a valid serial number,
     assuming there are 1 million, 1 billion or 1 trillion coins in
     circulation?

     5.  Suppose you have a very large number of
cash coins signed by the
     same bank (say, Mark Twain) and you know the record layout of each
     coin (easy enough since you can decrypt it with the bank's public
     key), and for each coin the "bank name" field is the same (because
     it's the same bank!) -- then, would it be possible to hack the RSA
     encryption and recreate the bank's private key?

     -----BEGIN PBP SIGNATURE-----
     Version: 1.0.0, Copyright 1995, Pretty Bad Privacy

     David Klur
     dklur@dttus.com

     I am who I am because I say so.  So there.
     -----END PBP SIGNATURE-------

Thread