1995-12-01 - Re: Netscape gives in to key escrow

Header Data

From: liberty@gate.net (Jim Ray)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ef5043c04286b65f05626ac7309dc1fd2b50fb149d4dfc4bd329855ee3cbb89d
Message ID: <199512011842.NAA43335@tequesta.gate.net>
Raw Date: Sat, 2 Dec 1995 03:28:47 +0800

Raw message

From: liberty@gate.net (Jim Ray)
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 1995 03:28:47 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Netscape gives in to key escrow

[Warning: More linguistic than crypto relevance follows.]

Tim wrote:

<snips>

>At 10:45 AM 12/1/95, JR@ns.cnb.uam.es wrote:
>>With regard to all this waving about Netscape giving in to key scrow...
>
>Key _escrow_, though "scrow" is perhaps just as accurate as the
>improperly-named "key escrow"

Indeed. One of the main libertarian objections to the term "key escrow"
is the "it's Newspeak" objection. "Escrow" [from the Hypertext Webster
Interface at http://c.gp.cs.cmu.edu:5103/prog/webster?escrow ] means:
__________
1. es.crow \'es-.kro-, es-'\ n [MF escroue scroll] 1: a deed, a bond,
money, or a piece of property delivered to a third person to be delivered
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^
by him to the grantee only upon the fulfillment of a condition 2: a fund
or deposit designed to serve as an escrow
2. es.crow \es-'kro-, 'es-.\ vt : to place in escrow
__________ [emphasis added.]

The number of cases that begin: "US v. ___," or that end: "___ v. US,"
puts the lie to the idea that the government could somehow be *any
sort* of a "third person" in many of the cases that come before the
(government employees, albeit with some autonomy, known as) judges.
Mine is, of course, the libertarian view of "the government as one
giant blob," as opposed to various contrary views of "the government
as many wonderful-but-separate agencies who are all just trying to
do their best." My view, while certainly not the majority view, is
pervasive enough that [IMO] the current government terminology of
"key escrow" *should* change to a less Orwellian term.

> (hint: escrow is something done voluntarily, not the situation here
> with GAK).

I liked the term "FUCKED" better, but I guess I can settle for "GAK."
JMR

Regards, Jim Ray --  http://www.shopmiami.com/prs/jimray

Al Gore's mission is to reinvent government. He seems to have started
with the office of the vice president. His staff is 48 percent larger
than Dan Quayle's was. -- Reason "Brickbats" October, 1995 issue.

PGP key Fingerprint  51 5D A2 C3 92 2C 56 BE  53 2D 9C A1 B3 50 C9 C8
Key id. #  E9BD6D35 (key on page & servers) <liberty@gate.net> IANAL
Help Phil! email zldf@clark.net or http://www.netresponse.com/zldf

Thread