1995-12-29 - Re: Cybercash security

Header Data

From: “Donald E. Eastlake 3rd” <dee@cybercash.com>
To: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
Message Hash: f01000e8d34838d825f77d82ffbc7abf638b4ed7035406d6f9affecfb163ae14
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.951228113432.24703G-100000@cybercash.com>
Reply To: <199512281557.KAA05598@homeport.org>
UTC Datetime: 1995-12-29 00:44:05 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 29 Dec 1995 08:44:05 +0800

Raw message

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee@cybercash.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 1995 08:44:05 +0800
To: Adam Shostack <adam@lighthouse.homeport.org>
Subject: Re: Cybercash security

On Thu, 28 Dec 1995, Adam Shostack wrote:

> Donald E. Eastlake 3rd wrote:
>
> [in answer to a question about how you would unload cash from a
>  Cybercash persona]
>
> | The current plans include a way to link your CyberCash persona with
> | a bank account (DDA).  If you have done that and there is cash in
> | your CyberCash persona, you would be able to transfer it to the bank
> | account.  Using ACH, this operation typically happens overnight.
>
> 	Wow.  Overnight clearing, bank interaction to load an account,
> *and* identity linking!  Tell me again why this is better than FV?

You comment is sufficiently short and cryptic that it's a bit hard to
tell what your point is.  Different services are good for different
things.  Most of the merchant's signed up with CyberCash currently
sell hard goods that they phsically ship to you.  They have different
needs from the on-line information vendors that FV primarily serves
at this time.

But both CyberCash and, I understand, FV plan to expand their service
repertoire.

If you want to use your credit card or bank account via CyberCash, you
need to go though an authentication step to link them.  If you don't
want to use a credit card or bank account, there is no requirement
to provide any real identity information when you set up a CyberCash
persona.

> Adam
>
> --
> "It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once."
> 					               -Hume

Donald
Donald E. Eastlake 3rd     +1 508-287-4877(tel)     dee@cybercash.com
   318 Acton Street        +1 508-371-7148(fax)     dee@world.std.com
Carlisle, MA 01741 USA     +1 703-620-4200(main office, Reston, VA)

Thread