1995-12-10 - Is it possible?

Header Data

From: Laszlo Vecsey <master@internexus.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f25fba9d3c84d88d0d30511da4a73b8a6f2e5cd6fc8c25b3c476f04a835247f9
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.951210113717.31381A-100000@micro.internexus.net>
Raw Date: Sun, 10 Dec 95 08:45:37 PST

Raw message

From: Laszlo Vecsey <master@internexus.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 95 08:45:37 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Is it possible?

Suppose I have the source of a C program that I would like to distribute
on the Internet. This program computes some data (perhaps attempting to
to do a partial brute force) and sends it's results to a server. The
problem is someone might modify the source to simply contact the server saying
"ok, my part of the brute force failed" and not even do anything. How can I be
sure that the source has not been modified from the original distribution
before it is compiled?

My original plan was to compute many digits of PI using the new Plouffe
formula (allows you to compute any Hex digit of PI in linear time) but
perhaps trying to brute force things in this way isn't such a bad idea.

Thread