1996-01-28 - Hash trees and bank solvency.

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0125c23ea6547760560a2f016f88c3308c71ee216e1b3a474cd390656cd2e486
Message ID: <199601280537.VAA01455@mailx.best.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 14:24:04 +0800

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 14:24:04 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Hash trees and bank solvency.

I publish this trivial and obvious idea, because if I do not,
publish it, some clown will surely patent it.

(Has the patent on chewing gum and walking at the same time
been taken yet.  The more outrageous patents the patent office
issues, the more power and influence they get and the more funds
they recieve.)

One of the great hazards with banking, and with financial services
similar to banking, is that the financial institution has the
opportunity to steal a great deal of money.

One solution to this problem is government auditors.  Government
inspectors, unlike private auditors, can force their way in, in
the early hours of the morning, and as each bank employee turns up,
take him to a separate cubicle and interogate him with a gun in
one hand and an account book in the other.  This makes it difficult
for the financial institution to fabricate a misleading picture of
its financial situation.

A hash tree can provide proof to a banks customers that the bank only
has the amount outstanding that it claims to have, without the need
for gunmen to check the totals.

At the close of month, the customer accounts are orgnized into a hash
tree with the totals forming part of the hash

Each node is a hash of the two nodes below it, and the amounts of money in
the two nodes, and the sum of those two amounts.

Each customer can then see that the money the bank owes him is a part of
the total the bank claims to owe.  If a customer discovers he is not
part of the hash tree, he knows the bank, or financial institution,
understates its indebtedness;

No auditors, government or otherwise, required.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com

Thread