1996-01-23 - [noise!] (fwd) Re: FYA/I: Who’d have gaussed it?

Header Data

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 12e9ed2415a032b28b551585dcbbb9902882a17090fd02d02bcb8cbf5d83cab6
Message ID: <v02120d06ad2adf635a2e@[199.0.65.105]>
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 06:09:48 +0800

Raw message

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 06:09:48 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: [noise!] (fwd) Re: FYA/I: Who'd have gaussed it?

Just in case you wanted to know how dept...

Cheers,
Bob

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 11:21:54 -0500 (EST)
From: Paul Picot <ppicot@irus.rri.uwo.ca>
To: Philip Stein <pstein@measurement.com>
Cc: jeff@rand.org, technomads@UCSD.EDU
Subject: Re: FYA/I: Who'd have gaussed it?

Zounds!  A guantlet thrown!  I accept!

> >It just occured to me: a good way to do this might be with The Mother Of
> >All Degaussing Coils.
[...]
> >If you can degauss the Queen Mary, surely all the disk drives in a little
> >office building should pose no problems, right?
>
> This won't work (thank goodness). The local field strengths needed to
> change the magnetic state of a disk platter (whose coercivity is MUCH
> higher than that of the queen mary) is orders of magnitude greater than
> what can be generated at any distance.

Use a coil *around* the building.  This makes the problem just
within the realm of the possible, though horribly impractical.

I'll spare the collected minds and spool spaces of the technomads list the
details, and reduce this to a recipe:

Collect the following:

- 20 miles of 0000-guage insulated copper wire (about 32 tons worth)
- five standard 20 MW gas-turbine power plant generators (about 20 tons ea.)
- fuel for about 10 minutes of operation (about 4 tons)
- five standard high voltage transmission rectifier modules for the above.
- one standard 69,000 volt, 10,000 amp transmission-line contactor set

Wrap 1000 turns of the wire around your target.  This makes a bundle about
18 inches in diameter.  Wire your generators and rectifiers to yield
70,000 volts DC, and connect them via the contactor to the coil.

Fire up the turbines, and take them to redline, storing kinetic energy in
the rotors.  Firewall the turbines and trigger the contactor.  It will take
about 10 seconds for the coil current to hit 8000 amps, creating a
1-tesla magnetic field within the coil.  This is sufficient to erase
magnetic media.  Then kill your generators before everything melts :-).

And this is now certainly outside the scope of technomads...

- Paul
--- end forwarded text

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com)
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
"Reality is not optional." --Thomas Sowell
The NEW(!) e$ Home Page: http://thumper.vmeng.com/pub/rah/

Thread