1996-01-25 - Re: UK newspaper names Zimmermann a “neo-Nazi sympathiser”

Header Data

From: tnaggs@cddotdot.mikom.csir.co.za (Anthony Naggs)
To: declan+@CMU.EDU (Declan B. McCullagh)
Message Hash: 14720b6988fb36880fb0fdcd2085fc8d84a26e87183cfb0067e6295797f9dc2f
Message ID: <m0tfMNS-000VVkC@cddotdot.mikom.csir.co.za>
Reply To: <kl1ibG200YUv8z81Mk@andrew.cmu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-25 09:29:32 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 17:29:32 +0800

Raw message

From: tnaggs@cddotdot.mikom.csir.co.za (Anthony Naggs)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 17:29:32 +0800
To: declan+@CMU.EDU (Declan B. McCullagh)
Subject: Re: UK newspaper names Zimmermann a "neo-Nazi sympathiser"

Declan McCullagh kindly forwarded Mike Godwin's comments thusly:

> From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic@well.com>
> Subject: Re: UK newspaper names Zimmermann a "neo-Nazi sympathiser"
> To: Declan McCullagh
> Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 18:13:11 -0800 (PST)
> Cc: fight-censorship+@andrew.cmu.edu
>

> Zimmermann stands to recover a lot if he sues the Telegraph under British
> libel laws.
>

> --Mike
>
> [...]

Er no, in practice it is hard to persue a libel case in the UK where the
publication has responded immediately with a printed apology - especially
if the apology is prominently placed.  The mail catenated to Godwin's
comments (from PRZ himself) indicates that the Sunday Telegraph will be
publishing such an apology in their next edition.  An out of court
settlement, apart from lawyers costs, may yield a charitable donation but
it certainly looks like PRZ will benefit from a sympathetic article
which seems to me to be a pretty good result!

Cheers,
--
Anthony Naggs	- Computer Security & Anti-Virus Engineer, CSIR, South Africa
Disclaimer: these are my personal views and opinions, and do not represent

Thread