1996-01-16 - Re: Spiderspace

Header Data

From: Johnathan Corgan <jcorgan@aeinet.com>
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 19ed43574a3e5781d07f1b842b2a920c02ede3c62d0de49b00557d6385f051f0
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.960116110942.164C-100000@comet.aeinet.com>
Reply To: <ad2127120b02100482d3@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-16 20:32:15 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 04:32:15 +0800

Raw message

From: Johnathan Corgan <jcorgan@aeinet.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 04:32:15 +0800
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: Spiderspace

On Tue, 16 Jan 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:

> 1. At the Saturday Cypherpunks physical meeting, Marianne Mueller (I think)
> was telling me about an experience where an old letter she'd written to
> someone showed up in an Alta Vista search. A personal letter, that is. How
> this happened was that the letter to her friend was buried several
> subdirectories deep in a directory he made accessible to the outside world.
> Presto, Alta Vista found it, indexed it, and made it keyword-searchable!

Minor correction, it was a private e-mail that I had sent to Marianne
over a year ago that showed up in an AltaVista search.  (It was a
completely inadvertant mistake on her part that this happened.)

Funny to me, embarrassing to her, and a perfect (though trivial) example of
how the evolution of "spiderspace" will, until people become more
familiar with it, reveal all sorts of unexpected surprises.

--
Johnathan Corgan
jcorgan@aeinet.com

Thread