1996-01-24 - Zimmermann Telegram (crypto history)

Header Data

From: cjl <cjl@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu>
Message Hash: 1f84342e1a8de103c606185b32bdb7e09696d5e139ca1cf07786859ae57121f6
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.960124101611.13539A-100000@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu>
Reply To: <199601240336.WAA11471@jekyll.piermont.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-24 16:27:16 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 00:27:16 +0800

Raw message

From: cjl <cjl@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 00:27:16 +0800
Subject: Zimmermann Telegram (crypto history)

On Tue, 23 Jan 1996, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> It was the Zimmermann Telegram, actually, and it was a dispatch from
> the Germans to the Mexicans trying to promise them most of the
> southwest in exchange for being allies against the U.S. (which wasn't
> yet in the war). The Brits intercepted and decoded it and released it,
> which forced the U.S. into World War I.

Why is it that I seem to recall that one of the responses by a govt.
official to the intercept was the infamous diplomatic quote

"Gentlemen do not read other gentlemen's mail"

Ah, would that this sentiment were more common in government circles
today (sigh) . . . .

C. J. Leonard                     (    /      "DNA is groovy"
                                   \ /                - Watson & Crick
<cjl@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu>      / \     <--  major groove
                                  (    \
Finger for public key               \   )
Strong-arm for secret key             /    <--  minor groove
Thumb-screws for pass-phrase        /   )

Thread