1996-01-04 - Answer: Windows Eudora and PGP

Header Data

From: Herb Sutter <herbs@connobj.com>
To: jim bell <alano@teleport.com>
Message Hash: 2a63da70e4ab97343316e91c0cbac60a139b7313d6d8ea68c05b9def0252d09d
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960104024833.006b10e8@mail.interlog.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 23:17:34 +0800

Raw message

From: Herb Sutter <herbs@connobj.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 23:17:34 +0800
To: jim bell <alano@teleport.com>
Subject: Answer: Windows Eudora and PGP

Run, don't walk, to check out:

   <http://www.panix.com/~jgostl/wpgp>

Qualcomm's own Eudora support team recommended it, and it works seamlessly.
To use it with Eudora, important point: after installing WPGP, go into
Options|Select Keystrokes and  make sure "Use Capture mode" and "Use Select
All" are selected (and "Use Memorizer" should -not- be selected), otherwise
you'll get errors about 'no selected text'.  That's it; you're up and running.

Example of using WPGP: After writing your message as usual in Eudora, to
encrypt simply click on WPGP's "Enc" button and then click on the window
containing your message; that's it, very slick.  Another example: If you get
a PGP-encrypted email and want to reply, just hit Eudora's Reply as usual
(this will ">"-quote the entire original email as usual including the PGP
block), click on WPGP to "Dec"rypt, and click anywhere on your reply
window... it will pick out the PGP block, decrypt it, inform you about valid
signatures etc., and automatically paste the reply back into your window in
the proper place WITH PLAINTEXT PROPERLY QUOTED, as if you'd got the message
straight in the clear and hit 'Reply'.

Highly recommended.

Herb

At 13:27 01.03.1996 -0800, jim bell wrote:
>At 10:24 AM 1/3/96 -0800, you wrote:
>>At 09:43 AM 1/3/96 -0800, Jim Bell wrote:
>>
>>>(BTW, I use Eudora, and I have PGP.  Could somebody explain how to PGP-sign
>>>messages, ideally EASILY?)
>>
>>I use Eudora as well.  It is not as easy as I would like.  You have a couple
>>of options:
>>
>>1)  Use cut-and-paste into Private Idaho.  Private Idaho will allow you to
>>paste back into Eudora.  (Or you can send out from Private Idaho directly.)
>>This option is useful becuase it supports nyms and chaining of remailers.
>>
>>2)  Get one of the standard Windows PGP shells and paste into that.  After
>>signing, you will have to repaste into Eudora again.
>>
>>These seem to be the only options.  I am not certain if there is a standard
>>DDE or OLE interface that could be used to feed message information back and
>>forth between Eudora and some other app.  There have been a number of
>>promises of Eudora/PGP integration, but nothing has materialized yet.
>
>[sigh]  Just what I thought, no easy solutions.  Well, for now I'll just
>skip signing; I haven't had any problem (that I know of...knock on silicon)
>with forged messages, and my normal posts are so enthusiastically anarchical
>and inflammatory that the only way anybody could really embarrass me is to
>forge a message, ostensibly from me, saying I agreed with some governmental
>activity somewhere.
>

>>There are no easy answers I know of...
>>
>>If you need a copy of Private Idaho, I can point you to a web site or bring
>>a copy along to the meeting on the 20th.
>
>Please do...

Herb Sutter (herbs@connobj.com)

Connected Object Solutions     2228 Urwin - Suite 102     voice 416-618-0184
http://www.connobj.com/      Oakville ON Canada L6L 2T2     fax 905-847-6019

Thread