1996-01-27 - Re: Doctor Denning

Header Data

From: Weld Pond <weld@l0pht.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2b1d3198f1691906c875eca1d24ba76a1586663d1e873be09ff719aa242ad113
Message ID: <Pine.BSD/.3.91.960126150104.16758A-100000@l0pht.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 08:01:13 +0800

Raw message

From: Weld Pond <weld@l0pht.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 08:01:13 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Doctor Denning

Peter Monta   pmonta@qualcomm.com wrote:
>What I found interesting was the lack of meat behind
>"Crypto Anarchy is Not Inevitable".  It seemed to boil
>down to the vacuous "if everyone could just agree that key
>escrow is a good thing, there would be no problem".

If found this interesting too.  I was waiting for the reason it wasn't
inevitable but it never came.  Denning seems willing to predict a future
where there are no more technical advances in fields like steganography and
dc nets.

Besides, won't the penalty for communicating using non-government
approved methods be life in prison?  What you are hiding *may* be evidence
of a murder or that you are a drug kingpin.  Unless the penalty is worse
than that for being convicted of the crime you commited, criminals will use
non-approved crypto and benefit greatly from it.

I don't think the public will buy this type of sentencing. Remailer
operators will be sentenced to life once unapproved crypto goes through
their system, even stego.  ISP managers will have to go to jail too if
they let 1 non-government approved message slip though.

If this is the way it is enforced it will be too easy to set up ISPs and
remailer operators.  All the big on-line services could be targetted
too.  You don't like AOL?  Just sign up using one of their handy disks
and the CC# you just scammed out of a dumpseter.  Don't forget to use a
payphone! Post non-GAKed crypto messages to usenet from AOL with cool
subjects like, "Here is where to leave the money." and "#43r5637 to
#4847d66".  I don't see how enforcement is workable.

      Weld Pond   -  weld@l0pht.com        -   http://www.l0pht.com/
      L  0  p  h  t    H  e  a  v  y    I  n  d  u  s  t  r  i  e  s
      Technical archives for the people  -  Bio/Electro/Crypto/Radio

Thread