1996-01-28 - Re: RANT: When hi-tech is a hinderance (freedom w/in limits)

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2e26fe94df140140c986d445b11608bb6c08aa80d8f491f1b70bd6e530bfdd3d
Message ID: <199601280626.WAA04730@mailx.best.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 14:51:22 +0800

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 14:51:22 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: RANT: When hi-tech is a hinderance (freedom w/in limits)

At 01:48 AM 1/28/96 +0100, Anonymous wrote:

> A short 'rant' on techno-dinosaurism...
>
> Or look back to the 13th century when European soldiers were
> high-tech wearing tons of armor and used cross bows.  it was
> imposing high-tech for the time, but they couldn't move fast or
> fire arrows quickly... and they were skagmeat for Mongols
> who were comparatively low-tech.

This is incorrect:  The Mongols had superior technology to the
people they conquered.  In particular Mongol arrows could penetrate
armor more effectively than anybody else's arrows, and Mongol siege
engines could level city walls far more effectively than anybody
else's siege engine.

It might well seem strange that nomads had higher technology, but
urban civilization of that era was in a twilight era and suffered
great technological stagnation and regression.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com

Thread