1996-01-16 - Re: Phil Z getting through customs

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: bshantz@nwlink.com
Message Hash: 306c0f3dab9bb8f8c577c9abe4cf3f7cd25c61732ae1ae35d74e256cad9472c6
Message ID: <m0tbyRc-00090cC@pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 15 Jan 96 16:20:20 PST

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 96 16:20:20 PST
To: bshantz@nwlink.com
Subject: Re: Phil Z getting through customs

At 08:32 AM 1/15/96 +0000, Brad Shantz wrote:
> attila <attila@primenet.com> wrote:
>>     answer the questions truthfully and they can not detain you???
>
>Not true, I've been detained by Canadian customs for doing just that.
>Everything went reasonably smoothly thanks to the customs officials
>lack of knowledge of NAFTA.  However, one of my travelling partners
>had trouble with customs due to ...hmmm... their lack of knowledge of
>NAFTA.
>
>> 	Rule 1:	 smile regardless of the adversity
>
>That's a good rule for things other than customs dealings.

I haven't driven to Canada for well over a decade.  But last time I did,
when I was addressed the Canadian border guy, he asked me whether I had
brought any firearms along.  I said to him,  "No.  I didn't think I'd be
needing them!"

He didn't as much as crack a smile.

Thread