1996-01-25 - Re: Crippled Notes export encryption

Header Data

From: Jeff Barber <jeffb@sware.com>
To: tighe@spectrum.titan.com
Message Hash: 30fd163295f3bdfa981a6a3e6419647916bfda27f124fc74e13b62f6ce568d58
Message ID: <199601251555.KAA01850@jafar.sware.com>
Reply To: <199601251504.JAA04039@softserv.tcst.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-25 16:24:46 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 00:24:46 +0800

Raw message

From: Jeff Barber <jeffb@sware.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 00:24:46 +0800
To: tighe@spectrum.titan.com
Subject: Re: Crippled Notes export encryption

Mike Tighe writes:
> Jeff Weinstein writes:

> >> Didn't Netscape already promise to remove the hooks? It seems to me all of
> >> the major software players are already in bed with the government.
> >
> >  What do you mean by "promise to remove the hooks"?
>
> I mean they planned to have some type of crypto, but then after a visit
> from the USG, they removed that plan, and even withdrew the interface so
> that someone else couldn't "drop in" the crypto. The press release
> describing it was within the past 12 months or so. I will find it
> eventually.

I think you may be confused.  I do recall a report that some NSA folks
visited NCSA and recommended they remove crypto hooks from the NCSA httpd.
Is this maybe what you're thinking of?

-- Jeff

Thread