1996-01-12 - Re: Zimmermann case is dropped.

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 331a0b7951dc385d4021e67a98358005371c71183a2b4d7444274ae10148e7ef
Message ID: <ad1aff2216021004007f@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 17:50:57 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 17:50:57 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Zimmermann case is dropped.

At 11:29 PM 1/11/96, sameer wrote:
>        We've made no progress. Phil has lots lots of time and gained
>lots of grey hairs, and everyone who donated to his defense fund lost
>money.
>        The US can still harass people if they want, and make their
>life hell.

Yes, I think it likely that another case will be filed, a case the
government senses is more winnable. In many ways, what Phil and/or some of
his friends may or may not have done was too "stale." None of the Four
Horsemen were involved directly, and Phil's case generated publicity that
tended to make him a hero, not an Enemy of the People.

I would look for something like a prosecution of a remailer operator,
though only after laws are passed making it illegal to remail certain
items. (Right now there is no law against redirecting a message, so
prosecution would be difficult.)

--Tim May