1996-01-12 - Re: Certificates: limiting your liability with reuse limitations

Header Data

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 344c0e4cb94b6b51e3efd5ea0e6acb2d5301d87b7e9a1a12d867c8270fa31815
Message ID: <199601120107.RAA21967@jobe.shell.portal.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960108172534.14719h-100000@viper.law.miami.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-12 02:24:16 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 10:24:16 +0800

Raw message

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 10:24:16 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Certificates: limiting your liability with reuse limitations

You write:

>Suppose I am a CA.  I am worried that by issuing a certificate with a
>lifespan of more than 2 milliseconds I am opening myself up to unlimited
>liability if for some reason, despite my best efforts, I issue an
>erroneous certificate.

How do notaries public get around this liability problem?  It seems to me
that the checking done for a certificate might be similar to the checking
done by a notary - a glance at a driver's license, say.  Are they subject
to liability if they are fooled by fake ID?

Hal

Thread