1996-01-05 - Re: Massey, CEO of Compuserve, on Internet

Header Data

From: “Robert A. Rosenberg” <hal9001@panix.com>
To: Tony Iannotti <tony@secapl.com>
Message Hash: 34d5b840c5e8cc63393aebbea2cef8ced352c1b8382d4881a18ae75042fa98be
Message ID: <v02140a03ad127fe5f8da@[165.254.158.214]>
Raw Date: Sat, 6 Jan 1996 06:57:56 +0800

Raw message

From: "Robert A. Rosenberg" <hal9001@panix.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 1996 06:57:56 +0800
To: Tony Iannotti <tony@secapl.com>
Subject: Re: Massey, CEO of Compuserve, on Internet

At 13:55 1/4/96, Tony Iannotti wrote:

>On Thu, 4 Jan 1996, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
>
>> Yes it would require that the Node be checked in the Software. What I was
>> responding to was a claim that there is no way of telling where I am
>> connecting from (which I disproved). As to calling a non-German Node, that
>> is always an option.
>
>Yes, I agree. I think the real difference is that they really cannot tell
>where you are calling from, even though they know where you are
>connecting.

Since the German Government (or the local "DA" who is claiming to represent
the National Government <g>) is talking about delivery of banned items in
Germany, I think that the relevant location is the node that is being used
not where the other end of the call to that node is located. What is being
requested is that CIS refrain for delivering the stuff to the Nodes in
Germany (they are not being told to monitor someone in Germany who is
trying to get it by calling LD to a node in France (or the US for that
matter).

Thread