1996-01-16 - Re: Spiderspace

Header Data

From: ecarp@tssun5.dsccc.com (Ed Carp @ TSSUN5)
To: tcmay@got.net
Message Hash: 352f0399fa376e887859457364e2d423982a62be0d4219e6d85efc1b8ec9b005
Message ID: <9601161853.AA13284@tssun5.>
Raw Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 04:06:48 +0800

Raw message

From: ecarp@tssun5.dsccc.com (Ed Carp @ TSSUN5)
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 04:06:48 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net
Subject: Re: Spiderspace

> From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)

> Sure enough, a search of "Cyberia-l" in Alta Vista showed all sorts of
> hits, including what appeared to be several _private archives_ of parts of
> the traffic. (By "private" I mean in the sense that they were someone's
> personal archives, and not necessarily complete or even semi-officially
> sanctioned.)

There are any number of reasons this migh have shown up - if the private
archives are accessible to the public, for example ... but ...

> Declan McCullagh, on the Cyberia-l list, followed up to my post on this
> topic by noting that things will really get interesting when the internal
> file systems of many sites are made searchable, such as with the Andrew
> File System (AFS) at CMU and elsewhere. Apparently most users make their
> directories accessible to others.

... I was under the impression that the only documents that most web crawlers
will search are documents that are link-accessible.  Are you saying that this
isn't true?  Are you saying that Alta-Vista will search EVERYTHING that's
publicly accessible, whether by anonymous FTP or web?

Thread