1996-01-27 - No Subject

Header Data

From: anon-remailer@utopia.hacktic.nl (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4045215730753b07ec527f984a1b99e8fba20ffefe9524b9f5d64eacb32c5b38
Message ID: <199601270818.JAA02695@utopia.hacktic.nl>
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 16:42:11 +0800

Raw message

From: anon-remailer@utopia.hacktic.nl (Anonymous)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 16:42:11 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: No Subject

Jim Bell writes:

>I notice that you responded through an anonymous remailer, and didn't even
>use a nym.  This is strange.

No it isn't.  You run around talking about killing people anonymously, but have trouble with anonymous harsh words?  Color me unimpressed.

I might be someone you know.  I might be a plant.  I might be something else.  Doesn't matter.  The words are the words and stand on their own.

>> are often that way because we think the *means* the State uses are evil,
>not to be excused by any amount of >mumbo-jumbo.
>
>I think the state's ENDS are evil, too, not merely their MEANS.

I have no argument here.  But good ends do not execuse bad means.  And killing people who are not an immediate threat to you (or someone in your immediate vicinity) is a bad idea.  Play the game of the State and become just like it.

>Actually, if you followed my arguments carefully, you will notice that my
>position is most accurately described by pointing out that I _could_not_
>keep you from participating in this "immoral game", even if I wanted to.

You also didn't mention the problem of fraud.  I set up A. Nony Mouse's Hired Guns Service.  You pay me a lot of money to go off someone.  I come back and say "Sorry, couldn't do it.  Bad traffic."  Then I wander off with the money.  Who are you going to complain to?  I have this sneaky feeling that damn few courts, Statist or otherwise, are going to get worked up over your loss.  And since the whole thing's done anonymously, you are left without a leg to stand on.  Assassination Politics -> Scam-O-Rama.

>For the record, I suspect some people who are total pacifists view the rest
>of us, those willing use use violence to defend ourselves, as "immoral."

I agree.  But then I'm not a total pacifist.  Self-defense is an inherent right.  Llap-gauche is not.

>Aha!  You're implying (actually, implying is an understatement here) that I
>am an "agent provocateur."

Nope.  Just pointing out that you are doing the job of an agent provacateur very well.  But your reply goes a long way toward moving you out of that category and into the category of KoTM fodder.

Signed,
A Friend

PS.  This whole thing really is off-topic.  I'm letting it drop now.  Bluster to your heart's content.

Thread