1996-01-30 - Re: FV Demonstrates Fatal Flaw in Software Encryption of Credit Cards

Header Data

From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@nsb.fv.com>
To: pmonta@qualcomm.com>
Message Hash: 42529b1f42be043b22df2b50a4ccdd662cfd4287b1deb68ab8de9e8a324c36d1
Message ID: <4l3Iox2Mc50eMWY=8n@nsb.fv.com>
Reply To: <199601292201.OAA00356@mage.qualcomm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-30 03:07:55 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 11:07:55 +0800

Raw message

From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@nsb.fv.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 11:07:55 +0800
To: pmonta@qualcomm.com>
Subject: Re: FV Demonstrates Fatal Flaw in Software Encryption of Credit Cards

Excerpts from mail: 29-Jan-96 Re: FV Demonstrates Fatal F.. Peter
Monta@qualcomm.com (651*)

> Of course, host security is important, but what is the rationale
> for panic, given the tools available?  Heavens.

It's the potential for large-scale automated untraceable attack.

> > NEVER TYPE YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER INTO A COMPUTER.

> Never speak it either.  Walls (and audio peripherals) have ears.

When you can give me a cheap device that can be planted in the wall,
listen to everything you say, and just spit out the credit card numbers,
then I'll start to be worried about speaking it.

Until then, what we've just unveiled has no audio parallel.  -- NB
--------
Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@fv.com>
Chief Scientist, First Virtual Holdings
FAQ & PGP key: nsb+faq@nsb.fv.com