1996-01-26 - Re: Microsoft’s CryptoAPI - thoughts?

Header Data

From: Lou Zirko <lzirko@isdn.net>
Message Hash: 4740409e9f94d9e8e221f5b046ee3fd5cdbbdf09ab84dab8b6c9f8682a47cd19
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960126184329.002dbed0@isdn.net>
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 05:20:53 +0800

Raw message

From: Lou Zirko <lzirko@isdn.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 05:20:53 +0800
Subject: Re: Microsoft's CryptoAPI - thoughts?

At 03:24 PM 1/26/96 GMT, John Lull wrote:
>On Fri, 26 Jan 1996 03:02:56 -0500 (EST), Futplex wrote:
>
>> Has someone here managed to extract PostScript hardcopy of the CAPI from this
>> Web page? I tried earlier this evening and wound up with a miniature
>> ecological disaster on my hands. The page says:
>
>No problem on a LaserJet 4M.
>

>> "For ease of online reading and printing, we've provided copies of this
>> lengthy document in Microsoft Word and Postscript formats."
>
>I tried printing the Word version from WordView, also, and ran into
>major problems.  It absolutely insisted on setting the printer to
>manual feed, and when I tried to print the odd-numbered pages,
>WordView crashed complletely.
>
>> Worse still, it appears that the
>> capiapp.ps file is actually a catenation of many PostScript files (one per
>> chapter?), each beginning with a version of this ensnarling line.
>
>Maybe that's why I couldn't extract odd & even-numbered pages.

The odd command line in the postscript file is specific to HP laserjet's.
It is a command that tells the printer to switch to postscript mode.  The
Microsoft print drivers are bad about this.  One option is to strip all
occurances of this line from the file or load and print the file from
GhostScript, a postscript processor.

Hope this helps.

Lou Z.
Lou Zirko                                (615)851-1057
Zystems                                lzirko@isdn.net
"We're all bozos on this bus" - Nick Danger, Third Eye

Thread