1996-01-13 - AP Article on Zimmerman Case

Header Data

From: Weld Pond <weld@l0pht.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 49c7348ad04077a2d905074d8957c5900713f15b6f698d33e820127d05af5c3f
Message ID: <Pine.BSD/.3.91.960112100709.7091A-100000@l0pht.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 08:56:06 +0800

Raw message

From: Weld Pond <weld@l0pht.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 08:56:06 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: AP Article on Zimmerman Case

http://www.boston.com/globe/ap/cgi-bin/retrieve?%2Fglobe%2Fapwir%2F011%2Fnat%2Faa040011

Excerpt for the web impaired:

     ``Zimmermann never exported Pretty Good Privacy, so the U.S.
Attorney seemed to be missing the point. Unfortunately there still is no
     clear ruling from our government as to whether or not making
software available on the Internet counts as exporting it,'' said Simson
     Garfinkel, who wrote a book about the program.

     Zimmermann's supporters argued that without encryption, government
could do widespread eavesdropping, perhaps for political
     reasons, scanning for words and phrases it considers subversive.
They acknowledge that a few criminals may use programs like PGP
     to hide out in cyberspace, but believe that concern is outweighed by
free speech and privacy rights.

     ``The case was part of the government effort to crack down on good
technologies for privacy. We hope the government's decision
     signals a rethinking of federal policy in this very important
area,'' said Marc Rotenberg of the Electronic Privacy Information Center in
     Washington, an on-line civil rights watchdog group.

     Others see the 2-year investigation of Zimmermann as intimidation.

     ``It seems to me is that all the U.S. Attorney is saying is that
they don't want the public relations nightmare of prosecuting Philip
     Zimmermann, but they still want everyone scared so that they won't
exercise their Constitutional rights,'' Garfinkel said.

      Weld Pond   -  weld@l0pht.com   -   http://www.l0pht.com/~weld
      L  0  p  h  t    H  e  a  v  y    I  n  d  u  s  t  r  i  e  s
      Technical archives for the people  -  Bio/Electro/Crypto/Radio

Thread