1996-01-18 - Re: underground digital economy

Header Data

From: “Patiwat Panurach (akira rising)” <pati@ipied.tu.ac.th>
To: “Alexander ‘Sasha’ Chislenko” <sasha1@netcom.com>
Message Hash: 4bee0dee869f02afe7f2d6b7078e28106e036d7b29678c93c271c67b33b6d629
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960118181949.11798A-100000@ipied>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960118010840.00e13e78@netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-18 11:37:58 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 19:37:58 +0800

Raw message

From: "Patiwat Panurach  (akira rising)" <pati@ipied.tu.ac.th>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 19:37:58 +0800
To: "Alexander 'Sasha' Chislenko" <sasha1@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: underground digital economy

On Wed, 17 Jan 1996, Alexander 'Sasha' Chislenko wrote:

>   If you sell a new version of CryptoDoom for digicash, and would like to
> buy a car that is only sold for paper money, and I have a car to sell and
> want to buy your CryptoDoom, *somewhere* in the market there will appear
> an exchange agent that would help us complete the transaction. In the
> case of parallel digital currencies this exchange market would be very
> liquid because of the high speed, low cost, and security/privacy of the
> transactions.

This model isn't as practical as it seems.  For one thing, it is a classic
case of barter: exchange for things that you want but don't have.  This
becomes extremely difficult with specialization.  Letsay I make only
CryptoDoom, its the only thing that I have the skills to make.  The things
that I want but can't produce each day are numerous: food, transport,
housing, ad infinitum.  One-to-one barter is only usefull if both agents
(in a 2 agent economy) need only 2 goods and specialize.

This is the root of money: a means of exchange between heterogenous
products.  Allthough a parallel digital internetwork would allow
occasional barters to increase there viability, it does not mean that
barter will replace money.  But there's some ambiguity here: What is
implied by "The case of parallel digital currencies this exchange market
would...."?  Does this recomend exchange markets (barter) or fiat
(currency)?

Patiwat Panurach      	     Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.
eMAIL: pati@ipied.tu.ac.th      Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.
m/18 junior Fac of Economics		-Johann W.Von Goethe