1996-01-21 - Re: Encryption and the 2nd Amendment

Header Data

From: Alan Horowitz <alanh@infi.net>
To: N/A
Message Hash: 4f2597eef58c36c49b0c16b06826de8cf2f690f8767f80b01849eb4cf9e5868b
Message ID: <Pine.SV4.3.91.960120141323.12476B-100000@larry.infi.net>
Reply To: <ad266ee7090210043077@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-21 07:37:12 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 15:37:12 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Horowitz <alanh@infi.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 15:37:12 +0800
Subject: Re: Encryption and the 2nd Amendment

> After all, it is well-established--whether we like it or not--that the
> government can regulate and control access to  [...]

       I *think* the only thing that's been affirmed, is that the feds
can *tax*  weapons transfers.     I think the one particular case is
called "Rock Island" or something like that. The defendant was
*acquitted* of possessing an un-registered machine gun, because the
authority to tax transfers of newly-manufactured machine guns, no longer
exists. This is an over-simplifaction. Anyway, the point is, the
defendant was acquitted right there in district court.

Tim, I don't think you'll be able to find anything in the Code of federal
Regulations or the United States Statutes, which outlaws the manufacture
or possession of a fission device in your basement.  I'm not even
positive if it fits the legal definition of a "destructive device", whose
*transfers*  are taxed.

Thread