1996-01-18 - Re: underground digital economy

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: a-kurtb@microsoft.com
Message Hash: 569e5b71054fb05da6dcc61e86cf562c177b996124a6ac00deef4f37117fca9d
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960118121001.00943868@panix.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 18 Jan 96 04:07:34 PST

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 96 04:07:34 PST
To: a-kurtb@microsoft.com
Subject: Re: underground digital economy

At 10:27 PM 1/17/96 -0600, Jim Miller wrote:

>This is the part that bothers me.  Wouldn't a gateway between anonymous
>e-money and identified e-money would stick out like a sore thumb to
>agencies tracking the flow of identified e-money?  Wouldn't identified
>e-money trails start and/or terminate at the gateway?  Once the gateway is
>discovered, all clients on the identified e-money side of the gateway
>would be discovered.

But those clients could be shell companies given to the "real" users.  As
long as one has a continuing opportunity for anonymous *spending* you can
transfer the value of the underground e-cash into useful goods and services.

DCF

Thread