1996-01-05 - Re: New Mitnick Book

Header Data

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Message Hash: 5fead7437d5597f6cb669ae50acf4505b239b570bbb2f6872cacc2f56ce1a01b
Message ID: <Pine.BSF.3.91.960105150132.3015D-100000@mercury.thepoint.net>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960105200208.006a8900@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-05 20:50:59 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 6 Jan 1996 04:50:59 +0800

Raw message

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 1996 04:50:59 +0800
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Subject: Re: New Mitnick Book

On Fri, 5 Jan 1996, Duncan Frissell wrote:

> At 02:36 PM 1/5/96 -0500, Brian Davis wrote:
> >FWIW:  When Markoff showed up with Tsutomu, the FBI agents "assumed" that
> >he was there with Tsutomu as a fellow researcher/grad
> >student/assistant/whatever.
> >
> >They had no idea (initially) that he was with the media.

> I take it that you were in the vicinity?  Or is this just what you've heard?
> Any more iside tidbits on the bust?

I spoke to one of the case agents who was in on the bust while at a
Computer Crime Conference at Quantico.  I don't recall any other tidbits
at the moment, but I'll think about it again.  They were fairly
closemouthed about the whole thing because it was reasonably soon after
the arrest and the case was just getting going (that is, the "case" in
court, not the "matter" under investigation -- U.S. Attorney-speak).

EBD

> DCF

Thread