1996-01-04 - Re: 2047 bit keys in PGP

Header Data

From: James Black <black@eng.usf.edu>
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Message Hash: 65d071a519b373e582281b27376ea43d48f09893c417aea7b76a0b4109bca93c
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960104003241.3923A-100000@kinks>
Reply To: <m0tXhdo-00092mC@pacifier.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-04 19:59:00 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 03:59:00 +0800

Raw message

From: James Black <black@eng.usf.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 03:59:00 +0800
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: 2047 bit keys in PGP

Hello,

On Wed, 3 Jan 1996, jim bell wrote:

> It seems to me that the best argument AGAINST supporting (and using) keys
> greater than 2048 bits is the false sense of security created.  Even
> 1024-bit keys will probably be safe for decades if just the algorithm is
> concerned.  Far more threatening are various other attacks, including RF
> snooping in combination with specialized viruses, as well as black-bag jobs
> on hardware.

  I have been reading this discussion, and I would recommend that someone
show the time that Bruce Schneier has in his book "Applied Cryptography"
(2nd ED), as he covers the security of different key lengths very well.
I would also suggest that people read it if this is a topic that
interests them, as it was written very well.
  I would quote from it, except that I am at work, and the book is in my
dorm room. :)
  Enjoy and have fun.

James Black (Comp Sci/Comp Eng sophomore)
e-mail: black@eng.usf.edu
http://www.eng.usf.edu/~black/index.html
"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all."
Oscar Wilde