1996-01-07 - Re: please stop the Mitnick stuff

Header Data

From: steve@aztech.com
To: nobody@replay.com (Anonymous)
Message Hash: 697626fa6636cfe2312fc6e676b5eac8fb64e30b3ac2cf8b52edf8801a16bf7b
Message ID: <9601070542.AA01803@Mail.AZTech.Net>
Reply To: <199601070023.BAA04907@utopia.hacktic.nl>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-07 06:03:16 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 7 Jan 1996 14:03:16 +0800

Raw message

From: steve@aztech.com
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 1996 14:03:16 +0800
To: nobody@replay.com (Anonymous)
Subject: Re: please stop the Mitnick stuff

I don't usually rant, but nobody@replay.com (Anonymous) said:

#C'mon, Perry, give it a break.  Mitnick's case has to do with security
#issues as well as the violations of privacy and/or search and seizure
#the government used to arrest him.
#It may not be cryptography per se, but are you going to seriously argue
#that security, etc. is not encompassed in crypto issues?
#I found it interesting.  If you didn't, then all you had to do was
#delete it.  No one needs to read your personal crusade as *The One*
#who tells us what's relevant and what's not.

I too found it interesting reading (agreeing with your position).  I
too found it to be off-topic/off-charter (agreeing with Perry's position.)

It really torques me when someone suggests: (in response to someone else's
suggestion that something was off-topic) "just delete it."  I subscribe to
a lot of mailing lists and news groups.  Anything that contributes to the
noise/signal ratio, and doesn't aplologize for it is a bad thing, IMHO.

To be more on-topic, if Mitnick knew more about crypto and covert ops, he
probably woudln't have been caught as easily.  When he was caught, the feds
probably wouldn't have been able to gather as much evidence against him.

I'll stop ranting, now.  You probably don't know me, and probably don't
care about why I don't care to read alt.fan.kevin.mitnick stuff on the
cypherpunks list.

FWIW,