1996-01-28 - Re: [NOISE] Re: NWLibs> Re: Anonymous trashing of Assassination Politics

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6cc310c155ad2aa508088d674b3e5c409311a48290945e9ee7a2e54b7418bbd4
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960128224012.0091961c@mail.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 06:55:52 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 06:55:52 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: [NOISE] Re: NWLibs> Re: Anonymous trashing of  Assassination Politics

At 09:38 AM 1/28/96 -0800, jim bell wrote:

>I guess I should offer a partial apology, even though I'm not really
>responsible for this.  Jack Hammer is the on-air name for John Benneth, who
>is a local (to me, Portland, Oregon) "moderator" for a "advertised as
>controversial" radio talk call-in show.  He saw my Assassination Politics
>essay a few months ago, and for a few weeks just before the November sweeps
>Neilsen ratings period he was trying to bait me into calling in, thinking
>I'd be a sucker for a local audience. (He _needs_ controversy to be
>sucessful.)  Since then he gave up for a while, although he occasionally
>snipes at me.  I assume his interest will wax and wane as various ratings
>periods  come and go.

Actually ratings do not apply in this case.  KKEY does not subscribe to the
ratings service.  (Never has, to my knowledge.)  KKEY is a part time
station.  It has never had much of a broadcast range.  (And never will, as
their equiptment causes interfearence with neigboring phone equiptment and
the like.) It is supported by advertising which is pitched by the talk show
host themselves.  It has never had much of an audience. The talk show hosts
run the gamut from  conservitive to very conservitive.  (The former owner
had a habit of firing hosts on the air if he did not like their views.  But
Ralph is dead now...)  It has a very bad reputation in Portland as being a
station for neo-nazis, whackos and cranks.

(Back in my conservitive days i had friends who worked there.  It was an
"interesting" experience.)

>>I have saved Jim Bell's "Assassination Politics" essay, with his PGP
>>signature, and soon to be a lot of other things, at
>>
>> http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~llurch/Not_By_Me_Not_My_Views/
>
>Thank you.  I guess...
>
>BTW, I sent the file to you as A16.???  That isn't a really descriptive
>name.  Please change it to something more mnemonic, like ASPOL.TXT or
something.

The site does need an index.

>>I plan to collect as many off-the-wall conspiracy theories in this
>>directory as will fit in my disk quota. And when I run out of quota, I'll
>>raise it for myself.
>
>Now, now, Rich, "Assassination Politics" is not a "conspiracy theory".  Or,
>at least, it's not your classic "conspiracy theory."

I think he is collecting stuff he thinks of as whacky theories.

>>I think it's time the wacky right and wacky left started looking at each
>>other's Web pages and lurking on each others' lists.
>
>What about the wacky libertarians?  Why did you leave us out?!?
>Waaaaaaahhhh!!!

I think he is collecting stuff that is just "whacky".

>> It's really funny
>>putting two "Anarchist" pages, one featuring Che Guevara, the other
>>featuring David Duke, side by side. Both say the guvment is out to get
>>them;
>
>I, on the other hand, am out to "get" the government.  But you'll be hearing
>more about that later.

Unless they get you first...

Alan Olsen -- alano@teleport.com -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
        `finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key
                http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
         Is the operating system half NT or half full?

Thread